Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Languages, languages

On this, my first full day on the Kibbutz, I spent nearly the entire day speaking French.  I've become friends and roommates with Esther, the girl who I said was from France but is actually from Belgium.  My brain hurts after nearly 10 hours of continuous French.  I also find myself switching back and forth from English with the other girls to French with Esther, which is more challenging than I expected.  Soon I'll add Hebrew to the mix and I have no idea what will come out of my mouth then.  I might also find myself returning to the States with either a French or Hebrew accent, so beware.

I'm updating pictures from the day to my Flickr page (username: shiramind) so hopefully you'll be able to see the link.  If not I can try to find a way to post them here though I'm not sure I have that option.  We'll see.  Anyway, Esther and I spent plenty of time wondering the kibbutz which has both beautiful houses and small trailers, paved roads with brick sidewalks and dirt paths, and lots of trees.

We got some groceries at the convenience market on the kibbutz so I actually have something for breakfast tomorrow, then in the evening we joined two other girls for a cab ride to Rehovot where we hung out at the mall.  I bought the shampoo I needed but wasn't there before the bank closed so I couldn't exchange my money.  I'll have to spend the money to go again during the day so I can get to a bank.  Oh, and the exchange kiosk didn't like my Traveler's Cheques.

One new girl, Tami, came while we were out and was put in the room with Esther, but because she only speaks French, Tami and I switched rooms so I could room with Esther.  That means all French, all the time.  Who would've thought that I'd go to Israel to learn Hebrew and end up perfecting my French?

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity, learning French and Hebrew. I miss you! If you'd like to teach me to read french while you are gone I wouldn't be opposed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nashira, your photos are beautiful. We get it: the sky is blue, the flowers and in bloom, the grass is green, and the palm trees are swaying in the wind. Enjoy!
    Never thought you'd appreciate your dorm so much, did you?
    Enjoy all you're experiencing.
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Help! How do I create a profile?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you are missing the Wisconsin weather, so here's an update:
    It is sunny, crisp day at a balmy zero degrees F.
    I know you are missing it! The blue sky and green grass and flowers can get very boring.
    Love and G-d bless,
    Aunt Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really got the feel of things, keep up the good work !!
    Love and best regards,
    Cousin Lawry

    ReplyDelete