Friday, February 11, 2011

Still discovering

I have limited time in which to reveal to you all the myriad things I've experienced in the last day and a half, so here goes:

Yesterday was cold.  No, really, it was.  Windy, almost-rainy (though it finally poured overnight), overcast, etc.  Yeah, definitely cold.  I know, you still don't believe me.

Yesterday evening I went to Rehovot again with a big group and while they all went to Kanyon Mall I went to Bank HaPoalim, which I believe is one of the largest branches in Israel.  And let me tell you, on a Thursday evening on the day everyone's salary is paid it is BUSY.  My bank trip ended up being nearly 45 minutes long, after which I ran the six or seven blocks in drizzling rain back to the mall to meet everyone.  Then I bought the most sugary tea I've ever had from a group of young girls who were trying to raise money.  I gave them 4 shekel because their English was so good and they were really adorable.

Before I went to the bank I found a guard at the mall who, incidentally, spoke French and gave me directions.  Mom, I wanted to call you right then and there to tell you how neat it was to be speaking French with an Israeli guard, but I had to run and knowing I'd report it here I decided against it.  I hope you don't mind.  But I'm very glad I chose French back in 7th grade even though you thought Spanish would be more useful.

Speaking of Spanish, we now have four people from Argentina, I think 11 from Uruguay, and one from Costa Rica.  Plus there's a Portuguese-speaking girl from Brazil who just made aliyah, lives outside the kibbutz and will be joining us for classes.  The final count also includes two Canadians, two Germans, one Swiss, one Belgian, and four Americans.  Majority language: Spanish.  Other languages: German, English, French, Portuguese, plus a little Russian from one girl and Dutch from Esther, though I've not heard her speak it.

Last night I went with everyone to the Kibbutz pub and paid far too much for a wine cooler, played a game of pool and chatted.  I met a kibbutznik named Roni who works at the factory and speaks little Hebrew, but he's nice.  He even noticed me today in the dining hall and said hi.  I'm meeting people!

Today the teachers came to place us into one of two levels of Hebrew classes, and I'm in the beginner level, which I expected.  I'll have my first class on Sunday and find out what job I'll have then, too.  I'm hoping to work in the garden.  I hear it's the dirtiest and possibly hardest work, but I'd love to work outside regardless. In fact, I'd like some hard manual labor.

This afternoon was free again, as has been the norm the past week.  So while my roommate took a nap I walked around the kibbutz for about an hour with the very nice dog in the pictures.  I finally found out her name is Laplan (or is it Laplam?) and she came with me nearly the entire way, which was fun.  The sun was out, too, and the wind died down a bit so it was really quite a pleasant walk.  Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me but if it's still nice tomorrow I'll go around again and take pictures of some of the other places I discovered.  This really is quite a large kibbutz and has a lot to offer.

I stopped at the kibbutz boutique/cafe as well and found some adorable clothes I would love to buy, so I might also return there later.  If I understand it correctly, there are to adjacent shops: one is a regular boutique and the other is a second-hand store.  Which can only mean one thing:  THRIFTING!  Friends of mine would be so proud (you know who you are).

There is a synagogue here and Mincha/Maariv services start in half an hour so I have to get ready.  Until next time, be well and Shabbat Shalom!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, Nashira. You told me so. But in my defense, had you taken Spanish, you could speak to your new friends from Argentina, Uruguay and Costa Rica. So thrilled you're having such a wonderful time. Have a wonderful Shabbat and remember we love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, but Esther would have been left without an interpreter! And really, which is the greater benefit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah. A mitzvah. What can I say?

    ReplyDelete