Friday, July 1, 2011

Oh the strangers you'll meet!

Last night was "Layla Lavan" - the White Night festival in Tel Aviv and Yafo which celebrates its UNESCO-given title as the "White City" with live music on open stages throughout the cities, along with art exhibits and a plethora of events.  The timing couldn't have been more perfect for those of us on the Ulpan who took our final exam yesterday and felt unquestionably deserving of a night of frivolous, careless abandon in Israel's party central.

Despite the fact that I am not the frivolous, careless abandon kind of person I succumbed to the peer pressure and joined my classmates on the bus we ordered to take all 25 of us to Tel Aviv.  To be entirely honest, I didn't enjoy the celebration all that much, but the following story deserves special recognition:

Having gotten separated from the few friends I had been sticking to, I found an unassuming spot on the edge of the beach and sat, half hoping my friends would come find me, half hoping to be invisible to the drunk and overconfident Israeli bachurim.  I started talking to someone when another guy about my age noticed I was speaking English and asked me where I was from.  He and his black friend (that is significant) were from New Jersey and had recently arrived in Israel with the tentative plans of volunteering on a kibbutz for the summer.  So we got to talking and I was enjoying the company of these two kind strangers when suddenly the black guy asked if I liked Disney movies.  When I said "of course!" he broke into song with a number from Aladdin and, without request or hesitation his friend and I joined in.  After a rousing rendition of "A Whole New World" we switched to "Part of your world" from The Little Mermaid, the black guy and I doing a fabulous impromptu duet.  Now, I emphasize his ethnicity because I found it rather humorous that I was sitting on a beach in Tel Aviv at 4:00 in the morning, singing Disney songs with a stranger from New Jersey who was half rapping some of the lyrics.  I'm sure Walt would've been thrilled!

His friend was feeling a little left out so for his sake we started singing "American Pie," which we and the people immediately surrounding us were thoroughly enjoying, until we got to the line "And moss grows fat on a rolling stone," after which we stopped, completely unaware of what followed.  None of us could figure it out.  We tried desperately and managed to muddle through a couple other lines here and there before succumbing to our bad memories, singing the chorus once more, and calling it a night.  We said our goodbyes and went our separate ways, never to meet again.

That single moment was, without a doubt, the most amazing and fun part of my whole evening in Tel Aviv, and I couldn't possibly let it go unrecorded. 

3 comments:

  1. Dear Nashira,
    With live music, art exhibits and a plethora of events between two cities I can't imagine why you ended up alone on the beach. Perhaps the realization of your Israeli experience drawing to a close had something to do with it?
    Regardless, 4 days and counting--can't wait to see you Tuesday night.
    Love you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel Muchin YoungJuly 2, 2011 at 6:27 PM

    Nashira, I'm afraid this post shows your roots -- growing up in a small, largely lily white community. I'm glad you're out there experiencing the real, beautifully diverse world.
    Counting days.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. If anyone ever sang "American Pie" except at 4 am, perhaps someone would know the lyrics.

    As the universe actually exists, however. . .

    Sounds like another wonderful memory of what can happen when you relax and talk to strangers -- and explore music in its many forms. . .

    Hmm -- sort of like the rock band story. Is there a theme here?

    Safe travels HOME!

    ReplyDelete