Friday, February 4, 2011

"Lechi Lach, on a journey I will send you"

The late Debbie Friedman (ע״ה) composed a beautiful song based on the opening words of the parasha Lech L'cha, the section of Bereshit (Genesis) in which G-d tells Abraham to leave his father and his home in favor of a foreign place that G-d will show him.  This new place, the land of Israel, is to be the homeland of the future generations.  Without question, Abraham and his wife, Sarah, follow the command and go.

I am not suggesting that my journey is divinely inspired.  However, one article (http://njjewishnews.com/article/torah/making-connections) explains that lech l'cha (and its feminine counterpart, lechi lach) is a little diaphanous in the Hebrew, thereby allowing for multiple interpretations.  The primary translation is usually "Go forth," the command given by G-d.  However, it can also mean "Go to yourself," "Go to a new place," or "Go forward," along with the myriad symbolic meanings associated with each.  It is appropriate, then, that my own "going forth" should be chronicled with a blog of this title.

In less than three days I will board a plane for Israel.  It is not the first time I have been there, but this is certainly the first time I have ever embarked on a journey of this magnitude.  This, for me, is big, and I do not intend to waste a bit of this opportunity.


Lechi lach to a land that I will show you
Lech li-cha to a place you do not know
Lechi lach on your journey I will bless you
And you shall be a blessing, you shall be a blessing
You shall be a blessing lechi lach.

Lechi  lach and I shall make your name great
Lech li-cha and all shall praise your name
Lechi lach to the place that I will show you
Li-simchat chayim, li-simchat chayim
Li-simchat chayim lechi lach.
And you shall be a blessing, you shall be a blessing
You shall be a blessing lechi lach.

~Debbie Friedman

1 comment: