Sunday, February 6, 2011

SURVIVOR: Sky Edition

Okay, so it's not that bad, but let me detail the beginning of my trip.  You might find it interesting:

My plane was supposed to leave at 2:00 PM from Chicago so I planned to arrive before 11:30.  We arrived when I'd hoped, I said my goodbyes with my family, and went to the Air Canada Check-In desk.  While waiting for the gentleman I noticed that my flight had been canceled along with the one immediately preceding it.  Oh boy, I thought. I have to get to Toronto to make my connecting flight with Lufthansa and it's not that long of a layover.  What to do?

Well, G-d bless that kind man.  He put me on the next flight (which was -- conveniently for me -- delayed by an hour) and changed the rest of my itinerary so I could take a direct flight from Toronto to Tel Aviv on the same airline.  PLUS I have an awesome window seat with, I am told, nobody nearby!  Whether or not that will remain true by the time I board the plane is questionable, but at least it's not a packed flight.

Yet another blessing in disguise.  Thank goodness I got to the airport so early :)

I spent the flight working on my latest crochet project and listening to a kind gentleman who loved to brag about himself and his children, then successfully made my way through the Toronto airport upon disembarking.  I've not been in many airports, but I must say, this is a pretty nice one.  Very easy to get through, lots of signs, and includes a restaurant with a fantastic grilled veggie sandwich.  C'est magnifique!  (That was a nod to the French Canadians.)

I can tell I'm on my way to Israel because of the many people sitting around waiting for this flight, there are a fair number of Orthodox Jews, plus a few others who are just probably Jewish.  There's a girl nearby, looks to be my age, and I wonder if she might be going on the same trip I am.  Hey, it's not an impossibility!

Oh goodness, there are two guys in front of me who just opened the largest Toblerone bar I've ever seen.  I hope they don't notice me salivating.

I love people watching.

P.S.  Daddy, you were right.  It wasn't because of the weather that they canceled the flights.  The gentleman I sat next to on the last flight said it was almost definitely because they had too much spare room on each of the flights, so they canceled two in an attempt to move everyone to the surrounding flights, thereby maximizing the use of space and minimizing unnecessary flights.  Makes sense to me.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Nashira,
    We are all thrilled that you made it safely to your destination. Hope you get some sleep. It must have been a very long 24-36 hours. Keep us posted.
    G-d bless you.
    Love you,
    Aunt Sheila

    ReplyDelete