Friday, March 11, 2011

Jewish Mommies

After yesterday's excitement, I decided a fun Shabbat (with a more light-hearted blogpost) was in order.  I could dwell on the politics of Wisconsin, or even more pressing, the recent catastrophe in Japan (which kind of puts things in perspective, don't you think, Wisconsonites?)  But this is not a political or current events blog nor do I want it to turn into such.  That being said, I feel at least a few words about Japan are in order:

I heard about the tsunami a few hours after it occurred, and I was utterly shocked, to put it mildly.  I simply don't know how to react in such circumstances.  What can you possibly say?  Then tonight I watched video footage on the chadashot (news) which left me utterly speechless and horrified.  To know that so many people's lives were so immediately and definitively altered, even destroyed, is beyond comprehension.  Let us all pray or hope or wish for a return to normalcy and safety for those in Japan and the Pacific, and let us further count our innumerable blessings.

Tonight I went to services and, as I have begun to expect, was invited to dinner.  However tonight it wasn't to be at my Israeli mom's house (her name is Shoshi, by the way), but at her friends' whom I met last week around her table.  But after services and before going to dinner we stopped at Shoshi's house where she insisted I put on warmer clothes.  Apparently a calf-length skirt, long-sleeved shirt, knitted poncho, and fleece jacket isn't enough in "winter" (or what passes as winter in Israel.  Psh.  They don't know what they're talking about).  So I came back tonight with a pair of socks, thick winter leggings, a sweater, and a winter jacket, all of which she told me to keep.  Despite the fact that I told her I really wasn't cold, she refused to believe me.  "You know, a mother can sense how a child feels," she told me.  "And you need warmer clothes.  I don't care if you're used to colder than this."  And that was that.  End of discussion.

Dinner at her friends' house was pleasant, with warm food and friendly company, as always.  We left early because Shoshi has a busy day tomorrow, and in all fairness I wanted to take a nap before going to the club tonight.  Yes, I'm going.  A couple girls here have convinced me to go, seeing as I haven't been there since the first weekend.  But upon returning to the Ulpan I discovered that a nap is absolutely out of the question since the Ulpan has apparently been overrun with Latin Americans.  I'm not sure who they all are, but I'm under the impression they're friends of today's birthday girl (one of the students from Argentina).  And if the students here are any indication then Latin Americans love to party and make noise, which means no sleep for me!  I guess that's what Saturday will be for.

I'm actually looking forward to going to the club tonight.  What with politics and a few other things, I've been getting a little bogged down in heavy thoughts and I need a night of dancing to horrible, loud music with a good beat and lots of people around me.  But don't worry, Mommies and Daddies everywhere, I'll be safe.  I promise.  And I'll make sure to wear a warm jacket.  :)

2 comments:

  1. :) Glad you're keeping warm. I know they can't imagine the cold you're used to, but I'm sure your new clothes will keep the chill off. And I'm glad you've found some Mommies to look out for you --- hope the dancing was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel Muchin YoungMarch 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM

    Nashira, one can never have too many mommies. If Shoshi is cold, wear a jacket. It can't hurt.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete